Monday, November 21, 2016

The testimony of a child

I am amazed and continue to be amazed of the children here in Puebla and especially in our ward. They are great examples to me and I can feel their sweet spirits. Hermana Cervantes and I are blessed to be teaching part member families and the children have had huge impacts on their non member parents. 

I have been pondering upon why we are asked in the scriptures to be like children. I think number one is that they know their identity and they don't let anyone affect it. I love the quote by Elder Anderson ¨ While a child's earthly situation may not be ideal, a child´s spiritual DNA is perfect because one´s true identity is a son or daughter of God.¨

Number 2 is that they do their duty, even if it's small. We had comida with a family and the dad isn't a member. He began to eat and his 4 year old son told him to stop. He said that we should always say the prayer and give thanks to God. It was AWESOME ... Now this doesn't mean that these kids or we as a people in general have to do big things to make a difference. I think Mosiah 4:27 perfectly describes what we all need to do. We need to be diligent and work to our capacity. This has been confirmed to me over and over again this week. I wish I had more time to share but I will share this: faith leads to action. 

Something that has helped me is a handout my mom sent me speaking about our mindset. 
Is your mindset fixed? 
do you: 
  • avoid challenges
  • give up easily
  • ignore feedback 
  • become threatened by people's success 
  • try hard to appear as smart or capable as possible 
What does a growth mindset look like?
do you:
  • embrace challenges
  • give your best effort
  • learn from feedback
  • become inspired by other people's successes
  • believe you can grow/change if you work hard
I know that the hardest part is the beginning. When we determine what we need to change in our lives, acting on it is the hardest part! I love you all and hope you have a great Thanksgiving. A lady in our ward wants to make Thanksgiving dinner for us. Super excited to see how it goes! 


Hermana Herrera 

No comments:

Post a Comment