Monday, February 6, 2017

Wake up call

Hola! I hope y'all had a great week! 

Things are def new here in Xonacatepec! I traded my fields of flowers for tall buildings with many, many did I say many? stairs. But it's nice to have a change. Something I found out about my new area is something called ¨Bien Muerto¨ which means that there aren´t any new or progressing investigators. Although this may be discouraging at first, it's a new opportunity to start fresh and really rely on the Lord. 

Since Hermana Vargas and I have this opportunity, we hit the ground running; trying to find new people to teach without much success. On one particular day, I was asking myself what we were doing wrong? Aren't we serving with all of our heart, might, mind and strength? It was through the spirit that I received this correction. ¨Why aren´t you involving the members?¨ Even a seven monther like me needs this repeated correction. Talking to my compa about this we realized our mistake which I think helped us reach a state of humility that was greatly needed. 

As we prayed to know who we could ask for help, it came to mind that we needed to ask an older lady named Eunice  and her husband that are less actives. As we arrived at their home our humble attitudes permitted us to say that truly we needed their help and not only that but more importantly that the Lord needed them. This started our wonderful relationship and they introduced us to their neighbor who is truly willing to listen to the gospel. What was even better Eunice and her husband attended church this Sunday and she bore her testimony about missionary work. 

I know that working with the members is an important part of missionary work. I know that many are willing to do their part but sometimes wait to be asked. They are truly powerful tools that the missionaries need, that I personally need. I love the talk by Elder Uchtdorf named ¨Learn from Alma and Amuelek."  He says ¨reach out to them, teach them, inspire them, ask them. You may be surprised to discover a valiant servant of the Lord who otherwise would have remained hidden.¨

I love you all and hope you have a great week! 

Hermana Herrera

No comments:

Post a Comment