Monday, April 3, 2017

Thoughts of a 9 month missionary

Hello!

Wow, I cant believe that I'm 9 months into my mission. It's true what they say, ¨The days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days.¨

I decided that I would write down 9 things that I have learned living here in Mexico:

1. When you arrive in a new area, always ask the members where the non-dog taco stands are
2. If people forget your name and go with the ever close second Hermana Trump just go with it
3. When a dog bites your companion, try to find the biggest rock to scare it away
4. A combi (van) will never stop completely, therefore call on your inner 8th grade hurdling experience and sit as fast as you can
5. Never EVER deny second helpings at meals
6. The best washing is hand washing everything
7. Arroz con leche popsicles have my heart
8. When climbing up tall hills for lessons, think SI SE PUEDE
9. Love the people with the same love that you have for the Lord

I think one of the most impacting and wonderful experiences I have on my mission is seeing true Christlike love between members, non members and less actives. For example, we have an investigator named Jose Lopez. He has been living on his own since he was 14. He earns about 25 pesos everyday which is a little more than a dollar. Before we met him, he didn't know who Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ were. A month later, he goes to church with us on a regular basis. He also has a great relationship with the members and is preparing to be baptized at the end of April.  We passed by for him to head to conference and then we stopped at a member's house.  Hermana Juanita ( the sweetest lady that you will ever meet) greeted Jose with a huge smile and said ¨Jose it's so great to see you! We are so happy that you are coming to church with us! I ironed a White shirt for you inside." 

I will never forget the smile of Jose when he walked down the stairs with his new White shirt. This meant everything to someone who is trying to change his life and has never owned a White shirt before. THIS IS CHARITY, THE PURE LOVE OF CHRIST. As missionaries and members of the church, we need to strive to have charity all the days of our lives because charity never faileth. How grateful I am that we have a perfect example, our Savior Jesus Christ to help us to do what is right. This is the number one thing I have learned most about here on my mission and wow... I'm super grateful that I still have 9 months left to learn a little bit more!

Love you all,

Hermana Herrera

No comments:

Post a Comment