Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Eliminating personal husks

And that's a wrap with our first change here in Tezo town!

This week was filled with more service and a lot more sun. The weather is weird here, it's like Texas hot summer in the morning and Texas winter cold at night...
 
We got a call from our ward mission leader saying that a couple of ancient investigators wanted our help to ¨piscar" which I have no idea what the significance in English is... like harvesting corn?  I guess they wanted to see if we were the real deal... We had tried to contact them before and not had much luck so we thought this was a great idea. 

Saturday morning we headed to the fields (which are everywhere here) It was pretty tough work and I cut my fingers a lot but over all a really good experience. The family was SO impressed that they offered us Chela´s, which is a really cold beer. But we agreed on an appointment instead. 

While we were peeling off the husks of the corn I got to thinking about how the atonement can really eliminate some ¨personal hard layers".  This can be bad habits or sins.  I can see that Heavenly Father puts us all in the refiner´s fire to help us be more like His Son. But the best part is that although we will progress and become better we still have our unique spirits. 

Every corn that we husked was a variety of colors. There were so many reds and oranges and yellows. It was awesome!  How wonderful that all of us as children of God are different and unique but we all contribute in a way. The necessity of uniqueness is vital. 

Hermana Ruiz and I had a hard experience on Sunday. On the mission you hear some heart wrenching stories that are hard to hear. We came out of a lesson and Hermana Ruiz started to cry. She told me it was hard and that she felt so sad for the situation of the hermana. She asked me how it was possible to endure when everything around you seems lost. I told her that it wasn't a bad thing to have those feelings that it's actually a privilege to mourn with those that mourn. But I learned long ago that we can't do it alone, we need to depend on Christ like the apostles did during their ministry. And we need to help others do the same.

I love this work and I love seeing the hand of the Lord. I know that He is personally ¨taking away the husks¨ to help us find and live to our potential.
 
Love you all! 

Hermana Herrera 




Our mission leader and service




Our district. Imagine a bunch of Primo Marios




Got lost...per usual but hey we found the Tlax sign!




No comments:

Post a Comment