Monday, May 15, 2017

A cup of sugar and Mother's Day!

Hola amigos y familia!

First! My heart might burst with joy because I got to talk to my family! It was so great to see their growth spiritually and physically! Also shout out to my mother, Cynthia Marina Herrera, for being such a great mom and for always supporting me. Also to my prima Becs for getting her call to the temple visitor's center in Mexico City. I think Heavenly Father knew that we needed to be a little closer... like only an hour and a half away closer :) 

Today I came unprepared without scriptures so if my message brings a scripture to mind, I would love to hear it! As you guys know, Hermana Hernandez is with me and I'm showing her around our area. Our area consists of the town Nanacamilpa but also about 15 smaller towns (about the size of Colonia Juarez, Chihuahua). On Tuesday, we were in one of those little towns that is about 45 minutes away from Nana, when we received a phone call that the Hermana that was going to feed us couldn't. We had decided to fast the day before for our investigators and we checked our backpacks to see if we had enough money to buy a quesadilla.  We had a total of 20 pesos, just enough for the combi ride to our church meeting later that day. We had a couple more appointments and I knew that we were probably going to fast for another day. I felt really bad for Hermana Hernandez because it's pretty hard for her to fast but we knew that if we kept working something would work out. So we said a quick prayer to help us keep going and headed out. 

As we were walking, I remembered a family that lived a little far off. We decided to drop by to see if they could give us a glass of water. When we knocked Hermana Rosy answered the door. She took a look at us and welcomed us in. As we asked for water, she looked at me and said "Hermana do you want a glass of water or a cup of sugar?"  I was pretty confused and thought that I misunderstood. She then explained that she was a missionary in Tampico and they were left without food for many days in a row. There was an Hermana that always helped them in times of need. All they needed to say was that they wanted a cup of sugar. Well, we accepted the cup of sugar and we were able to end our fast.

I learned a lot of things from this story but one thing I would like to share is that we all need help physically and spiritually in this life. And the fountain of divine help is our Heavenly Father. All we need to do is ask, but sometimes that's the hardest part. I felt a little uncomfortable to ask for help from Hermana Rosy, but she was able to discern our needs. I know that our Heavenly Father knows our needs before we ask, but the asking is necessary because that is how we show our faith. And how do we ask? Through prayer. Personally, sometimes I feel like when I keep in some things from Heavenly Father its to show that I'm enduring or that I can do it by myself. But really enduring and showing faith is expressing everything to our Father in pleading prayer. We need to have confidence that He knows what we need. So don't ask for water, ask for the good stuff, sugar! 

I love you all and sorry if this email is a little jumbled!


Hermana Herrera 


P.S Hermana Rosy gave us a cup of sugar to remind us that we can always come back! Such a blessing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment