Monday, May 1, 2017

A sincere apology

First of all, a sincere apology for not writing an email last week and so I'm going to try and squeeze out all the small spiritual thoughts of this crazy week to make up for it. 


But first some fun facts that have happened: 

1. We were able to go to Angelopolis also known as ¨Fresaopolis¨ to see the BYU I symphony. I almost cried when they played a song from Pride and Prejudice. The symphony went out with a bang with ¨Canta y no llores.¨  Lets just say a symphony in Mexico is way different from the States. These people do like their celebratory yells. 

2. I have a new companion! Her name is Hermana Hernandez and she is from Mexico City. She has about 15 months on her mission and I'm learning a ton. I also officially have a house in Mexico City so that's exciting.

So the work in Nana, is goingggg... the truth is this week was pretty hard.  I think I will always remember week 43 on my mission. But hey there is always something to learn right?
I think one of the most rewarding and difficult things as a missionary is having true Christ like love for your investigators. I feel like it's somewhat near the love that a parent has for a child. So I'm practically like a mom with about 10 children who wants the best for them but also worries about them every second of the day. We have had some investigators that have chosen other paths that have grave consequences. And all we can do is love and be patient.

I am reminded all the time about the covenants we make when we are baptized. I love the scripture in Mosiah 18:8-9.  As we make this sacred covenant, we choose to mourn with those that mourn and suffer with those that suffer. We choose to have Christ like love for all mankind. This love isn't something that comes overnight, but it requires a constant effort to put yourself in another person's shoes. And it is when we understand them that we can be the most help. One of our investigators had a tough week. I think taking alcohol out of his life is something that's going to take a lot of time and patience. During our lessons, we prayed silently so that we can understand how to help him. He finally shared that he drinks to forget about his past. We know a little about his past, and of what we have heard its definitely not pretty. He feels like alcohol is the only instrument that helps him forget.

As we shared this scripture in Mosiah, I felt very impressed to share that those memories are part of his life but they don't have to hurt anymore. In fact, they can be used as a tool to do good and help others in the same situations. After baptism, they aren't going to hurt anymore. That's a promise from our Heavenly Father. When I said this, his whole body shook and I could tell he was feeling the spirit. He has the promised blessings. He now just needs to make a choice. And here I am with my companion worrying and praying our heads off but I wouldn't give it up for the world. After all being a ¨mom¨ is the best calling to have. 

Anyways, the message I want to give this week is this, that we need to remember our baptisimal covenants and try everyday. These covenants are eternal and require our daily effort. I need to work on this as well. On Sunday we were knocking doors and we had a very interesting conversation with a little old lady who is from the local Catholic church. She asked a very difficult question and I didn't have a reference from the Bible right away. She cupped my face and pulled me down to meet her eyes and said ¨You poor beautiful little thing. You don't know anything. Go back home to the states.¨ Now Christlike love was not my first reaction, but I thanked her for her time and we kept walking. Its in these moments where we are tested. But I know that if I see that little woman againI'm going to serve her and give her a big old hug. 

I love you guys and thank you for your support! 

Hermana Herrera 

No comments:

Post a Comment