Monday, May 8, 2017

Changing lives . . . one rock at a time

Hola amigos y familia! 


This week was so good! 

First happy 5 de mayo: per usual it was a party here in Mexico. Especially I think in Puebla because it was in Puebla that the famous battle with the French happened.

I think one of the most unforgettable experiences we had this week was with a reference from a member. In our area, we have about 5 families that are members so it's super exciting when we get a reference! So being on cloud nine, we knocked on a door to find a young teenager named Madeline and her sister Hannah that is 7 years old. As we were getting to know Madeline, there was a huge bang at the door. We looked up and realized that Hannah with her thick coke bottle glasses climbed to their roof for a better view and was throwing golf sized rocks at our heads. One barely missed my companion. Give me crazy drivers, wild dogs or angry nuns but 7 year olds with really good aim, that was something I wasn´t prepared for.
We decided to return a different day and after introducing ourselves a little better and explaining our purpose Hannah permitted us to come in. I love Madeline and Hannah because you can tell how much they love each other. It's understandable that Hannah was a little protective. It made me miss my sisters a little more. 

Something that's on my mind as we are teaching these 2 and their mom is how important it is to have self worth. Especially for girls in society today, many don't know that they are daughters of God! That they have a Heavenly Father who loves them and knows them by their name and face. This is something that is very evident with the women in Mexico. I have seen countless of stories of women that need this simple truth in their lives, and when they receive it, it's changed them in a miraculous way. . .Sometimes we let ourselves be defined by worldly definitions but that only lasts for so long. I´ve witnessed this in my life. 

If there is one thing that I want the women here, my sisters, cousins and friends and everyone else to know is that  we have a Father in Heaven who loves us and we love him. I know that the only comparisons we should make is comparing us to ourselves in the past and who we want to be in the future, not comparing ourselves to anyone else. As we shared our thoughts with Hannah and Madeline this week we could tell that it helped them have the courage to come to church this Sunday. As I was playing prelude music, out of the corner of my eye I see a pair of white glasses. Hannah gave me a big hug and was super excited to be there!
I know that when we have testimonies of the Love that Heavenly Father has for us, we can help others feel that same love. I feel really privileged that I can testify of these truths to young girls that need this knowledge and to feel His love.

I'm finally sending photos from this past month, so sorry for the delay. You will find birthday celebrations, the baptisim of Jose Alberto, Mexico sunsets and an attempt of squeezing in appropiately for a district photo. My companion, Hermana Hernandez, is on my right. 

Love you all! 

Hermana Herrera 





















No comments:

Post a Comment